Old variety which origin is unknown. Puikula is cultivated in northern areas of Finland and Scandinavia. It is also known as 'Mandel' and 'Almond'.
Represented or owned by: The Finnish Seed Potato Centre carries out the maintenance and basic seed production of the variety.
- Old late table potato variety
- Very good tasting, especially when grown in the short and bright summer of the north
- Tubers are long-oval, curved and pointed; the flesh is yellow, very floury
- Good storability
- Susceptible to late blight, wart disease, viral diseases and nematodes
- "Lapin Puikula" has Protected Designation of Origin label in EU, so all the potatoes sold under this name have been grown in Lapland